Unit HomeNewsNews Article Display
2d Marines

 

2d Marines

2d Marine Division

Camp Lejeune, N.C.
Active-duty squadron associates with Air Force Reserve wing

By Capt. Shannon Mann | | April 12, 2008

SHARE
Hangar 4909 was buzzing 30 minutes before the ceremony April 12. Within the hour, the 911th Air Refueling Squadron added a new chapter to its history, becoming an active associate unit in partnership with Air Force Reserve Command's 916th Air Refueling Wing.

At 9:11a.m. the ceremony began in the traditional military fashion with the posting of colors and the singing of the national anthem.

Col. Jon Klaus, commander of the 6th Operations Group, MacDill AFB, Fla., presided at the ceremony.

He told the audience about the significance of placing a Regular Air Force squadron under the operational direction of an Air Force Reserve wing and the challenges they face in the process.

Colonel Klaus explained that the 916th ARW would keep its KC-135 aircraft and equipment and share them with the 911th ARS. He said administrative control of the squadron's 260 active-duty Airmen would reside with the 6th Air Mobility Wing at MacDill.

Although the ceremony took place April 12, the 911th ARS has been in business off and on since May 1917. Over the years its changed location 20 times and flown 15 different kinds of aircraft. The squadron started flying tankers in 1958 and actually was assigned to Seymour Johnson AFB from 1985 to 1994.

Colonel Klaus passed the guide-on to the new squadron commander, Lt. Col. William Uptmor.

"Today we begin writing a new chapter in Air Force history," Colonel Uptmor told the crowd. "The 911th along with the 916th Air Refueling Wing, 6th Air Mobility Wing and 4th Fighter Wing will write the book that will define Total Force operations for years to come. We will work as one, live as one and fight as one." (Air Force Reserve Command News Service)


SHARE